Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Little trip south to Grand Staircase Monument and beyond


We spent the last weekend of May down in Lyman, and on Saturday we went for a drive south on scenic hwy 12. Heath had never been that way down south so we were excited for him to see it.


Heath really wanted to find some Indian artifacts so my dad showed us a spot south of Boulder where we might find some.

We searched and searched for some arrowheads and we found this incredible spot where some old boy sat on this very rock with his flint and tools and knapped some arrowheads. Of course he took the finished product with him, but left a huge pile of knapped flint and chert shavings. 




My mom had recently had foot surgery, so as we all wandered around, she just soaked up the rays and rested her foot.


Just south of Calf Creek Falls, we stopped at a favorite spot under the bridge for our picnic lunch. Nothing better than a sandwich in the sand.


"At the river a bee got stuck in my foot. It hurt very bad. Me and Kelsey found tadpoles!" -Emmitt


"My favorite part was playing in the water. I loved it. I liked playing in the sand. I liked when the water was cold." -Kenna


"Everyone played in the water. We made dams and the sand was so squishy. We walked in the water.The rocks hurt really badly. My feet kept on hurting from the rocks." -Kendal


"My favorite part of the day was catching little minnow things in the river underneath the bridge. We spent hours in the water and ate sandy sandwiches and got sand all over our socks but it was a blast." - Kelsey


After our sandwich, we walked up to a place called '100 Hands.' Very cool. They are handprints left 1000 years ago by the Anasazi. 




After we played in the sand and sun for a while, we headed into Escalante for an ice cream cone. Kelsey thinks this picture of my dad is horribly awful and funny. lol




We did a quick stop at the visitors center for Hole in Rock. We didn't go all the way down to it, just read a little bit about it here. We were mostly just enjoying the fabulous weather.








My mom takes some crazy photos. These are a few of them.
Kelsey is so tan from doing track all spring. I should be more tan from doing yard work all spring!!

No comments:

Post a Comment